Monday, November 11, 2013

Lest We Forget



For my entire adult life, since I was 16 years old actually, I have proudly served my country. Even now, I am a civilian employee for the Canadian military.

Remembrance Day has always played an important role in my life. Always in uniform, parading, usually with my bugle band. In the early days, toasting those who died, with my Deputy Commanding Officer, with cherry branding. Then spending the rest of the day with the vets in the Legion, drinking too much, & just listening to their stories. It was so important to them to be heard.

I have played the Last Post (Canada's version of Taps), on many a Remembrance Day as well. Once aboard my ship in London's harbour. Hells I even had the supreme honour of playing it for those amazing men that are at rest on Vimy Ridge.  (I stood & I played my trumpet right there between the 2 towers & I was so honoured & proud)



One day I played the Last Post 5 times, in 5 small fishing villages on the Brittany Coast of France as those good people "celebrated" their harrowing night in April 1945, when a German Uboat sank one of my Canadian ships off the coast. What an amazing story ... those brave people, in occupied France, defying their captors - some even had guns pointed at them, to try & save a bunch of sailors, or at least try to give them a proper burial! One gorgeous 85 year old man Paul, almost burst into tears, apologizing to me that his family could not save them (he was 5 years old at the time).

Now, it is so much different. I now "celebrate" Remembrance Day in the weeks leading up to the ceremony (if you followed my facebook .. my wall has been FILLED with it!). 



But Rememberance Day is so much more now. We now have Silver Cross mothers again .. our fallen are again the younger generation.

I am a veteran. I am proud to be a veteran. It was always important to remember those who passed so long ago, always so important to keep their sacrifices alive. But it is so much more real to me now. The military IS my family and it IS my life.



I have not been to war. I have served in conflicts & I have kept the peace during times of trouble, but I am fortunate to not have gone to war. I have had many friend that have. I have had many friends that have been wounded and I have lost friends as well.



This video was sent to me by a friend of mine about a month ago .. I cannot sit thru it without crying. It is real & it is haunting & it is beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD873WrqyLg&feature=share&list=UU84zo1hojnhP8uBpqSOWTHA

In the early stages of our "war on terror" in Afghanistan, a tradition was soon born, when our fallen soldiers came home. They flew into our main Air Force Base in Trenton, Ontario to grand fanfare, their families, politicians, and high ranking military officials, were there to greet them. Then they would be loaded into the  hursts and the followed by limos for the families & dignitaries. They were driven to the Coroner's office in downtown Toronto. It is about a 3 hour car ride down the 401 hwy, forever now known as the "highway of heros"  from Trenton to Toronto. Each and every one of our fallen comrades that died in Afganistan was given this very special tribute. The "Highway of Hereos" was not a planned tribute, it was born from the people of this country, who just wanted to say "thank you for your sacrifice" This video is a moving tribute of many of these journeys. And it makes me so very very proud of the Canadian people. I hope you take a minute to watch it.

http://youtu.be/h3IutxvltBM

I do not have to work today. I do not go to the ceremonies anymore, nor do I go to the Legion and "celebrate" but I will remember in my own way. So please, at 11am, take a moment of silence and remember them for all that they have given up. Thank you!

http://youtu.be/S8gRx8tWJmI

---- oh & some useless trivia ---- my Grandmother is OLDER than Remembrance Day ... today she turns 101!!!!! Happy Birthday Nan - I love you!

6 comments:

  1. Always remembered and forever grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Happy Birthday to your Grandma. That is quite an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for serving our country. Sorry I am late for Remembrance Day. But I still wanted to say thank you.

    willie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much, Willie .. it's NEVER to late to remember!

      (((hugs)))

      Delete