Friday, December 6, 2013

HEY! ... What's with the Star Wars, Dork?

This is my 100th post!! 

I know right?  That's a lot of psycho babble! O.o

I wanted to write something fun or special, so I have been contemplating for a couple of days! What to write, what to write? I really liked the post Chickie put up the other day ... The 5 facts (7 facts?) about you ... from Facebook

I started thinking about it but really wasn't getting any joy. Then it hit me ... Star Wars. Ok ok, stop rolling your eyes! I see you! I am all about the Star Wars

Star Wars is my life. I know that sounds so weird, doesn't it? .I have always loved it though, since the moment Ep 1V (aka the first movie) came out & my dad & I went to see it at the theatre. I have been hooked since.

But it was not until 2 years ago when it really began to take over my life.

I joined a group, I will call it the Star Wars Guys (we actually get that alot "HEY! Star Wars Guys! How YOU doin'"  .. definitely giggle worthy. I do not use the real name as I do not want to out it in a sex blog ... so if you know the organization I am talking about SHHHHHHH, it's a secret

So we are cosplayers. Those people who dress like their favourite characters from comics, movies, TV, Amie .. you name it & there will be somebody dressed in it - oooo, an aside, I saw the BEST Toothless (How to Train Your Dragon) cosplay this past August in Toronto - she was brilliant!!!

Chewie & Vader having a chat with Wil Wheaton at Ottawa Comic Con 2013 

*coughs* The only difference with the Star Wars Guys, is that we do it for charity. Children's charities mostly. Our favourite here is the Make-a-Wish Foundation. And 100% of any money we collect thru our photobooth, blaster ranges (shoot a Storm Trooper with nerf guns), raffles etc. We keep nothing and we make nothing. I am very proud of the fact that this year alone I have had a personal hand in raising about $33,000 for Make-a-Wish ... that's 3 wishes for sick kids!

Actually, we are international AND sanctioned by LucasArts (yeah yeah I know aka Disney) and by the Maker himself! Remember when Lucas was the parade marshal for the Rose Bowl parade - probably 10 years ago. Anyway, his car was surrounded by Storm Troopers .. all members of the Star Wars Guys. And we are a brotherhood. Here in Ottawa we have about 33 active members & another 10 working to get costumes approved so they can get in official. We are a big family. That's how my Brat & I became besties. And it doesn't matter I have made friends thoughout Canada, the States & beyond! It's really nice to know that no matter where you go, you have friends there.

So because we are sanctioned, our costumes have to be movie quality.Seriously, ... it's the challenge of getting accepted in the SWG. And it ain't easy .. there are forums, and tutorials, and promulated costume standards for each character that somebody wants to cosplay. And trust me the Star Wars universe is HUGE ... way beyond the movies. There are literally thousands of characters. We make our own costumes (or have somebody make them for us). Storm Trooper armour, Darth Vader ... not cheap. We even have a couple of wookies & C-3PO. I know my Jedi robes (which Carrie Fisher absolutely loved when I got her autograph in Toronto), is one of the cheaper costumes to make, ran about $300. Some costumes run in the thousands of dollars range.

The worst thing about this though is it's addictive. Once you have that first costume almost ready, you are already planning costume 2, & 3 and have 4 and beyond taking root in your head!

We actually did buy that Vader (it's sitting in my living room) at an event at Toy-r-Us

On a personal level, it has really freed me and let me find my inner, I was going to say geek but no that's not right ... I found ME. And this me ... who cannot STAND getting her pictures taken - HATES IT SO MUCH - will go stand in from of the Death Star back drop & pose for pictures for HOURS. Will ham for the camera ... work it .. whatever, I just let the character take over ... I still hate looking at myself in these pictures but I love doiing. *sighs* there are literally hundreds of pictures of me circulating on Facebook! O.o


David Prowse (the Darth Vader & my "boyfriend") visiting our booth at comic con. That R2 was hand built by a friend of mind and it's remote controlled - yes he talks too! ... people always think it's the real deal. 


This is NOT what it looks like. We were hamming it up at our photo booth. Neither "Chewie" or I even realized what this shot looked like .. until a friend saw it on Facebook & asked if I was into giving wookie head! o.O 


Meeting the children & their parents, is the main reason I go out. Its so much fun watching grown men & women squeal like little kids when they see Vader or Chewie, Storm Troopers etc for the first time! And they go absolutely ga ga if I let them hold my lightsaber for the picture. But the absolute best is when a little kid, who has been soooooo excited to come see, Darth Vader but never realized how big & scary he actually is, and is too scared to go up & see the one "person" he really wanted to see. That's my job! There is nothing more gratifying for me, to be able to talk to this little one, (I am a safe & friendly Jedi after all), and convince him that Vader is not going to force choke him or hurt him & that yeah, maybe if we go together - Yes I will hold your hand - and give Vader a fist pump & get a picture. It's the best feeling in the world, to help a child get over their fear & get them to do the one thing they really wanted to do in the first place.


This is not the real C-3P0 ... this is Michel & he made this costume. He is in there! Now that is dedication .. they actually have to bolt his "bucket" on!!! (It takes up to 4 people to dress him & it takes about 40 mins to get into it and the same in reverse!) 


So yup, when I say Star Wars is pretty much my life ... I ain't talking about collecting the movies & a few trinkets. And now I am off to get ready ... I am "trooping" at a press conference at noon hour today ... I hear Brett "the Hitman" Hart is going to be there. And then it's off to set up our booth for the mini-comic con happening this weekend. No Star Wars guests are going to be there ... BUT DRAKO MALFOY will be *SQUEEEE*  (see I can like other stuff too)  

May the Force be with You!! ;) 

12 comments:

  1. wow those are some awesome pics. and i really did do a double take on the giving wookie head pic.

    when i was young i couldn't say his name, so i used to call him cucumber. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I still can't believe none if us saw "that" either. I think it was up on Facebook for 2 wholes before somebody said something!!! *blushes*

      And Cucumber the Wookie huh? That's cute! ;)

      Delete
  2. I guess it goes to show how perverted people's minds are because my first thought was that you were giving Chewbacca head, lol.

    I love Star Wars and Comic Books but never to the Geekdom level, but i find it fascinating to get that glimpse into the lives of those that do, so thank you for sharing and thank you for doing it for charity! And especially one like Make-A-Wish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture is going to be my claim to fame I swear! :(

      A lot of my friends are heavily into the whole geekdom/cosplay scene. It's exhausting. I will just stick to Star Wars though! I am a purist. - a lot of my friends are BI-SCI-FY - meaning they love both Star Wars & Star Trek
      The charity work gives us a level of gratification that few other cosplayers get to experience, not to mention a valid excuse to play dress up!!! ;)

      Delete
  3. The first time I saw the original Star Wars was because my dad took me too! I wasn't particularly mpressed by the movie then, but I remember I was distracted by thoughts of a guy (high school) who I was contemplating losing my virginity with at the time.

    When the movies came around re-done, in the late 90's, I saw it about ten times and loved it. Especially Obi Wan. When he took his hood off in the first movie . . . *swoon*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hooked from day 1 .. I was 11 at the time & too nerdy for boys anyway! I like Obi but am an Anakin fan all the way. I still cry when he kills the younglings & goes to the dark side!

      Delete
  4. love this post! love seeing your passion through your writing. Thank you. it was a great post.

    oh, was with my girlfriend yesterday. she lives star wars too. we bought lego star war keychain yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should show your friend this post ... Or the pictures at least! We are always looking for new recruits.

      Geez HS my 100th blog post is just slightly different than yours eh? One day though ... One day I am gonna have sex again and then I'm gonna BLOG all about it, in my non sex sex blog!!! *giggles*

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your 100th post. That must be awesome doing it as part of Make A Wish too.
    Star Wars was 'big' in my house growing up. We used to 'play' it with the neighborhood kids. My brother is still hugely into it -- a year or two ago my kids made him a 'Vader Build-a-bear' he keeps on his desk at work. He said it was the best gift ever. He'd probably be one of those in tears if he ever saw your group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show him the pictures ;)
      There is probably a "garrison" close to where you/ your brother lives. You never know .. He might want yo join! ;)
      But yeah the charity aspect gives us all great joy. We did the Help Santa Toy Drive Christmas Parade a couple of weeks ago (not me was with my dad) & a roving reported asked a bunch of younglings what there favourite part of the parade was, they all screamed STAR WARS!!! it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling! ;)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your 100th!! Glad to see the passionate side in you emerging!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Dave! The passion has always been there ... I am actually kind if surprised this post has been so warmly received!! It is my passion & if I could I would do it 24/7 ;)

      Delete